Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Earth Reacts To Man

As Latter-day Saints we understand that mother earth is a living entity. We know that she lives and will die and resurrect and that she obeys a Celestial Law,

D&C 88:25-26
25 And again, verily I say unto you, the earth abideth the law of a celestial kingdom, for it filleth the measure of its creation, and transgresseth not the law--
26 Wherefore, it shall be sanctified; yea, notwithstanding it shall die, it shall be quickened again, and shall abide the power by which it is quickened, and the righteous shall inherit it.

We also know from Enoch's experience that mother earth is pained with the wickedness of men,

Moses 7:48
48 And it came to pass that Enoch looked upon the earth; and he heard a voice from the bowels thereof, saying: Wo, wo is me, the mother of men; I am pained, I am weary, because of the wickedness of my children. When shall I rest, and be cleansed from the filthiness which is gone forth out of me? When will my Creator sanctify me, that I may rest, and righteousness for a season abide upon my face?


Paul seems to be referencing this same idea when he said,

Rom 8:22
22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.


A reference in Leviticus and two our our latter-day general authorities had important commentary about the earth and her reaction to wickedness,

(click on image to enlarge)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you made me aware of your blog! Over the years I have missed your teachings so much. I still have old zone conference recordings I listen to. My brother recorded some of his institute classes he had with you when the topic was Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith. So I listen to those, as well. It's so nice to have these thoughts from you on your blog! Thanks again.
-Brian Allen